Monday, September 24, 2012

equality for everyone, please.

The first website, People like us, really had some good insight into what "class" you belong too. I read all of the stories and was blown away by a few, especially Ginnys. In one aspect, I understand why she isn't accepting help from the government because she has a lot of pride but at the same time she should also think about her kids who might benefit more if she were given more money. Reading that story also made me sit back and be extremely thankful for my family background and where I come from.

That website also had a few games and I played all of them :). The first one you had to create your own living room and what you picked to decorate your room says a lot about what class you belong to. When building this living room, I had what my parents living room looks like and went by that. I picked hardwood floors, an Ethan Allen couch and a Labrador to name a few and in the end it turns out I am "Middle-middle" class. Next was an matching game and I did surprisingly well, although there were some things I didn't know; like the proper name of a bowling shirt. Lastly was a quiz, and once again I was named middle-middle class.

The next website, had to do with equal pay for both men and women. I also enjoyed this website because it had a lot of information about the differences between men and women in the work place. This also made me think of the "third wave" of feminism. As said before, the third wave is not over and I don't think it will be close to being over until women are treated as equally as men in the work place. We've come this far and theres no stopping it now. I hope that some time in my lifetime I am able to see women be treated as equals and this anti-women phase will come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment