Saturday, September 8, 2012

Seriously? Opression by Frye.

First and foremost, I need to say that I completely disagree with Frye when she says a man holding a door open for a female is sexist and it means that women are "incapable". She states, "The door-opening and similar services provided are services which really are needed by people who are for one reason or another incapacitated- unwell, burdened with parcels, etc. So the message is that woman are incapable"(177). Although I identify as a feminist in some way or another, I could not disagree with this statement more. When a man holds a door open for me, I see it as having manners and being a gentleman. When a guy sees a female behind them in close proximity and doesn't hold the door open, I think its rude. I researched what other females have to say about this and I came across a few articles titled "is chivalry dead?" or "Where can I find a good man?". Seeing these titles make it clear that most women appreciate a man holding the door open for them. I did however come across this article which seemed a little silly to me. This kind of made me realize maybe I'm not as much as a feminist as I originally thought.

Exactly:
 

However, I do like when Frye talks about the double binds women get in today's society. If one women engages in heterosexual sex, she is a slut. If she doesn't, shes a virgin and guys constantly insist she "lets her hair down". It just shows women can never win, no matter what the situation is.
The following statement is a little awkward to me, "The same parents who would be disapproving of her sexual activity may be worried of her inactivity because it suggests she is not or will not be popular or is not sexually normal"(176) It could just be me, but I'm not entirely sure of who shares their sex lives with their parents. Usually, parents like to believe their kids are virgins up until the day they get married and try not to think about their kids sex lives. Also, what is "sexually normal"? Is there such a thing? Therefore the statement quoted above is a a little farfetched and exaggerated, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment