Monday, October 22, 2012

Cinderella ate my daughter talking points

Disney princesses to this day still play a very big role in a little girls life. However, I disagree with the fact that they brainwash little girls and make them think they are a princess. When I was younger, I loved the Disney princesses and I would love to play dress up and pretend I was belle or Aurora. I never actually thought I was a princess nor did I think I deserved everything a princess had. I think the whole term "princess" comes from the phrase "daddys little princess" where a father will go above and beyond for his daughter buying her anything she wants. That also comes from a fathers enabling of his daughter into letting her think she deserves the world.. literally.

I have a 22 year old friend who works at the Disney store and buys anything involving a Disney princess. So, I asked her about how they influenced her life as a little girl and even now in her early twenties. This is what she said: "I mean, I understand why one would think a Disney princess influences a girl SO much with actually being a princess, but I think they are also portraying something deeper then just the 'outer shell' of looking and acting like a princess. All princesses have different traits, they have different obstacles to overcome, hopes, dreams and they each have their own demons. Maybe that is why someones daughter is pretending to be snow white, because their dreams or traits are the same. who knows. I just know I am who I am today because of my family. not because I thought I was a Disney princess."

Being a business major, I see nothing wrong with the selling of them either. And the whole color issue, who cares?  A color is a color. and society has a way of identifying them with certain things. If a boy wants to ride a pink bike so what? That doesn't make him "girly". I know I am who I am today because I had the freedom to choose my toys and what I wanted to play with. I played sports when I was young, but I still loved getting a barbie doll and dressing her up whenever I could. And I watched every Disney movie out there, but I knew a princess was a fantasy thing and I was in the real world.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Kaitlyn,
    Totally agree with you on the fact that color shouldn't matter. I do think that sometimes it's to much. As a little girl we didn't know the rights and wrongs about the "Disney Princess Life", I think Disney has come a long way but kids just fall into their traps of becoming a "Princess". Really though who wouldn't want to be treated like royalty, I know I would, but it's going to far when parents talk total control of what girls and boys need to have or look up too. It's all just a Disney mess and society too. By the way nice blog post. I thought the videos were funny so I had to post them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good way of incorporating your life and attributing your upbringing to your family. That is how it should be your family and the values that they have given you. I understand that color doesn't matter, but I am the type of person that loves all different colors in my wardrobe, and I believe that some people take the color pink to an extreme. I know that being in the fairytale land is sometimes better then the really world but to get caught up in that will lead you to live in an dream world, and not face reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with you on the point you make about selling everything and its color. i do think boys should have some pink toys and girls should have male action figures too. its funny how you bring yourself and personal life and friends into this blog.. i like that a lot. but i do have to say i thought i was a princess when i was younger.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. i completely agree with all your points and i like seeing that someone else disagreed with this article and the views as strongly as me. =]

    ReplyDelete