Monday, October 29, 2012

Finally. The topic of sex.

 First, I want to comment on Noelles blog. She states in high school she was picked on for not having sex. I completely understand how she must have felt. I had gone to an all-girls, catholic high school and sex was NOT talked about. If someone were to have sex, it was kept hush hush and it wasn’t something that was bragged about. Out of my group of friends, I was the one who was scared to have sex. Not just because of the initial “losing of my virginity” but also for the emotional consequences that come along with it. So therefore, I was picked on for being the “prude”. But, once I started dating this guy at the age of 18, my views changed and I was no longer scared. So Noelle, I know where you’re coming from!


In White’s blog, she mentions that having sex is good but so is NOT having sex. With the way society is today, if a person doesn’t have sex it’s more of a shocker. I had to kind of step back for a second and check myself. I have a friend who never has sex and I mean NEVER. And in the past, I have made comments to her about it and implied that it just wasn’t normal. Now I’m being who my group of friends were being in high school and putting pressure on someone I care about and value as a friend and I know she’s upset by it. Just because I personally love sex, doesn’t mean that everyone around me loves it equally as much. 

I also like how White states that intimacy is complex. She’s right, especially when it comes to females.  In most female’s minds, when you are intimate with someone, you’re giving that person a part of yourself. This in turn can cause attachment and emotional issues such as if the person you were intimate with breaks your heart. Guys on the other hand, can go out and bring someone different home every night and not have any attachment issues with women.  Not saying this is true for every guy, it’s just the common standard for males. 

Lastly, White states that “just because it doesn’t turn you on doesn’t mean it’s wrong”.  I read mikes blog and I like how he said not to “yuck someone’s yum”. People are turned on to different things, what I might like is different from what someone else might be into. Fetish’s are a big part of the sex world today and just because we might not understand some of them doesn’t mean they’re wrong.  I guess there really is no wrong when it comes to sex.
After reading Whites blog I can say I am sex positive. 


 Who knew sex had so many benefits?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katie- I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for taking such a risk in class the other day. I hope that you recognize the value it had and feel as though it was shared in safe space. I was thinking some more on the subject and I was reminded of a saying I used to share when I did this work- when it doubt think to yourself 2 things- The absence of a NO is not the PRESENCE of a Yes... then ask is my consent enthusiastic? As a rule of thumb trust your guts- if something about the situation feels abusive or uncomfortable or forced it probably is. Email me privately if you want to chat some more I may have some helpful/interesting info for you.
    In solidarity,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris! I'm a very open person and have no problem sharing something that could also have happened to someone else. I'm just happy that part of my life is over and I can move on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you shared your experience in school. People need to know that it's fine is someone wants to be sexually active or not, society makes to much of a big deal about both.

    ReplyDelete